Translate

Pages

Tuesday, June 23, 2015

A Musical Confession


I confess that in more musically fashionable circles, in the company of fans of A. R. Rahman and Ilaiyaraaja, -- or even worse -- Pt. Bhimsen Joshi, Pt. Jasraj, MSS etc, I have joined hands to bitch about the musically famished decades of the 80s and 90s. The decades when the best that Bollywood could produce in the name of music directors were Laxmikant Pyarelal; when the playback singers who ruled the roost were no better than pathetic Shabbir Kumar, Mohd. Aziz etc. When singers like Kumar Sanu could become the singer of the decade and gems like Suresh Wadkar had to content with their status of really talented singers.

And yet, those were the decades when I travelled through my teens, grew into a man, experienced love, lust, longing, rejection, separation ... all in my own clumsy ways; when the biology of growing up made my senses so sharp that I looked for beauty in everything that came my way.

Hence, people, I wish to confess today that the many of the songs which I still hum in solitude, shower and while driving  or walking came out in those dark decades of 80s and 90s. And they were composed by such unmentionables as Nadeem Shravan, Jatin Lalit, Anu Malik, and even Bappi Lahiri.

Here's a list of those songs which I may have made fun of to try and belong in the class of Rahman lovers, but which I have always loved:

Aashiqui


Saajan


Dil Hai ke Maanta Nahi


Khilaadi

Jo Jeeta Wahi Sikandar


Qayaamat se Qayaamat tak


Papa Kehte Hai


Phir Teri Kahaani Yaad Aayi


Sadak

Rehne ko ghar nahi

Here's another confession: It took me 10 times more time to set up the hyperlinks than it took to write up the post.

Like me, you may be under the pressure not to publicly accept your liking for these songs, but nothing stops you from clicking the links above and enjoying them when none of your more technically gifted friends is looking! Don't worry! Google will not tell them! ;) ;)

Enjoy! And do suggest if you think anything's there that can't be left out of this list! :)

No comments: